Leading water consultant Tom Mollenkopf has today become the new President of the International Water Association, taking office following his election in Lisbon, Portugal back in October 2019.
Mr. Mollenkopf, who trained as a lawyer and holds an MBA, has been a substantive and well-regarded figure in the water sector for the past 20 years.
Tom has previously been CEO of the Australian Water Association and of the Peter Cullen Water and Environment Trust, and worked extensively for WaterAid Australia, as well as having been IWA Deputy Executive Director from 2005-2007.
Tom takes over from Diane d’Arras, who has led IWA effectively since October 2016, including during the challenging Covid-19 situation.
Furthermore, there have been a number of other changes to the IWA Board. Two former Board members have been selected as new IWA Vice Presidents, namely:
- Senior Vice President – Prof. Enrique Cabrera (Valencia Polytechnic University, Spain)
- Vice President – Prof. Hamanth C. Kasan (General Manager, Rand Water, South Africa)
In addition, there have been five new additions to the IWA Board, as follows:
- Prof. Peter A. Vanrolleghem (Canada Research Chair on Water Quality Modelling, Canada)
- Walter Kling (Vienna Water, Austria)
- Dr. Rose Kaggwa (National Water & Sewerage Corporation, Uganda)
- Dr. María Molinos-Senante (Pontifical Catholic University of Chile, Chile)
- Prof. Xiaochang Wang (Xi’an University of Architecture and Technology, China)
Four Board members are stepping down, specifically: Sudhir Murthy, Daniel Nolasco, Joan Rose, and Helle Katrine Andersen.